From: Olle E. Johansson <o...@edvina.net>
Sent: Donnerstag, 30. März 2023 13:19
To: Henning Westerholt <h...@gilawa.com>
Subject: Re: [sr-dev] Debian SBOM for kamailio

> On 30 Mar 2023, at 12:51, Henning Westerholt <h...@gilawa.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Olle,
>
> a compiler does not magically change the licence just by processing the
> source code and producing binary code.
> That would be an easy solution to many licencing issues. 😉
No but when it combines a lot of source code and some of it is GPL, then the
output is affected. That’s when the stickyness of the GPL license applies and
the combined software - including modules - all run under the GPL license
regardless of what license the source code as text had.

The copyright remains exactly the same though.

> Its like e.g., a translation of a book. You can not claim that you own the
> copyright of a book by simple translating it.
I do understand that. I do not understand why your adding that example in this
discussion though. You’re mixing copyright and the license to use the
copyrighted work.

/O

> Cheers,
>
> Henning