On 20/4/23 13:20, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
On 20 Apr 2023, at 12:57, Victor Seva <linuxman...@torreviejawireless.org>
wrote:
On 18/4/23 11:02, Olle E. Johansson wrote:
Sorry, life got in the way, but I’m coming back to this discussion…
I think we should
* List all licenses per file in the sources package (as is done now)
* Only use GPL v2 in the compiled (binary) packages

The copyright is the same in both, but the license is in fact different.

Uh, what do you mean? How the license of compiled package is different from the
ones in the source?

In general, no part of a compiled Kamailio can be distributed under BSD. There
may be one of the internal libraries that could be unaffected by the GPL,
but anyway, when the customer links in in memory to Kamailio it’s still GPL.

Now I'm really confused :-(

The wonders of GPL. It’s sticky. Even if you have other licenses (provided they
are compatible) in the source code then the product itself is all GPL.
So if I create a product and license it under GPLv2, and one of the source
files is BSD, the compiled binary will be only GPLv2.
No part of the compiled product is BSD any more. GPL kind of sticks to it all.

BUT if you only look at the source code, and not the binary. I can create a
product, license it under BSD and take one of the source
files from kamailio and include it.

* If that file is licensed under BSD, my product can be BSD when compiled and
used.
* If that file is licensed under GPLv2, my product will be GPLv2 when used.
Regardless of the license of my source code.

So the source package can have a list of licenses, but in my view the binary
package can not.

The stickyness include loading of .so modules - dynamic linking.

This is why we can’t use GPLv2 licensed code when creating commercial products.
Other licenses work fine. LGPL is another story.

I’m not a lawyer, but have spent many years in these kind of discussions. Happy
if wrong. :-)

Ah, OK. Yes, indeed but there's no explicit license on the binary deb, AFAIK.

|   ,''`.                                             Victor Seva |
|  : :' :                      linuxman...@torreviejawireless.org |
|  `. `'                           PGP Key ID: 0x51A09B18CF5A5068 |
|    `-                                          Debian Developer |