well this is just a guess, but I believe there are only a static number
of ttyp. (I have 16 on all my machines.) I believe the pts are created
on the fly as people log in. But I am not saying this is what actually
happens. It has just been my experience... When I used the ttyp, I had
nothing but problems, and when I switched to the pts everything worked
fine.