M-MMM,

I don't remember selling that Burns fellow a Shay. It was probably stolen
like my eye glasses, camera, toilet roll, programs and girl friends. Now I
know who sneaked everything back into my pockets or back on the bed in my
room (except the girl friend and the Shay!!)

When a chap's very beautiful wife is so attracted to an old duffer like me
one can understand why Mr Bloomin' Burns takes pot shots at me!

 In truth,  that Shay is a fascinating loco to run, one of the most
impressive features is the very fine three cyl engine. I did not assemble
it from a kit but I believe it was assembled by the retail store whence I
purchased it. (1979) .
 I understand that Aster provided the kit with the engine portion already
assembled--good thinking!!  The drive gears  and the gears on the wheels
were not meshing properly and I found it necessary to install a  thrust
ball and spring on the axle ends opposite the gears in order to keep  them
properly engaged without binding.  No doubt there are other  means of
solving that problem.

Gotta go, I had a complete knee replacement  3 weeks ago and that cotton
picking surgeon has stolen my old knee!

Geoff.

Geoff.

., I own two of these nice Shays. One I really bot out of sympathy for