Thanks for responding, Trent.
  All of this is very interesting to me.  My questions have been posed because
someday, I
will have all the drawings and information necessary to build my loco (SP18) in
quantity.  The methods of manufacture available, their tolerance, and cost would
determine how feasible such a project would be.  Thanks for the perspective.

royce