In a message dated 4/26/2000 3:54:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  I can't agree with KT that the heavy stuff
>  runs like water  (at least not soon enough)  and I believe  TrotFox's
>  experience demonstrates this.
Uncle Geoff,
Please bear in mind that all of my experience with model live steamers has
been with 3/4" scale and larger along with full size steam locomotives. I can
say from personal experience, that the steam oils I have used all claimed to
be 600W and weren't nearly as viscose as some of the oils I've heard of on
this list! The oils intended for superheated steam, however, approached the
consistency of peanut brittle! I believe if you find something that works,
stick with it. And that which doesn't work, forget! I am curious about the
weight of oil required when using displacement type lubricators as opposed to
pumped lubricant. Until I recently became enamored of Ga. 1 models, all my
equipment had mechanical pumps to supply the oil. Once it came in contact
with live steam it thinned out and was suspended in the vapor which then
thoroughly lubricated both the model and frequently me too!
I also question the absolute need for a lubricator. Bill Morewoods 3/4"
scale Raritan has been running for more than thirty years without a
lubricator. Saturated steam shouldn't need the same sort of lubrication that
truly superheated steam would. At the end of his running session, Mr.
Morewood would put a little oil in the cylinders and push it back and forth
on the tracks so that it wouldn't rust while waiting for it's next run.

Again, all my experience has been with bigger stuff than Ga. 1 and I'd
appreciate any and all tips about small scale operations.