> For the sake of playing, could they be adapted to
> our small stuff?  =)

A couple of years ago, Albrecht Putschbach brought a scratchbuilt
0-10-0 to the Diamondhead steamup.  (Albrecht is the fellow who
brought the LGB K-28 converted to steam to the last steamup.)
The engine is a huge beast, and among its interesting features was
a working single-cylinder air pump on the left running board.  At
least, that's what it appeared to be.  Actually, it was a steam-
operated mechanical lubricator.  Very cool.

Yes, it can be done.  I'm sure you could run one off an axle, as well,
like a water pump.  Is it worth the trouble?  I doubt it.  The deadleg
displacement lubricator works so well on our locos -- with no
moving parts and no drag on the locomotive -- that it's hard to
imagine why one would want to fool with anything else.  Well,
MEchismo, perhaps.

regards,
  -vance-

Vance Bass