In a message dated 4/27/2000 7:01:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  I am curious as to wheather you could fill me in on
>  how the lube pumps work.  For the sake of playing, could they be adapted to
>  our small stuff?  =)

Just an oscillating cylinder within a tank that holds the oil. On test, they
can be pumped by hand, using the ratchet drive that connects to the valve
gear, to pressures over 1,000 psi. The design is pure LBSC. LBSC was a
British author of many authoritative articles on live steam and the designer
of an amazingly large number of successful miniature locomotives from "O"
gauge through 4-3/4" and 5" gauge.

>  Did the larger items use ringed pistons as IC engines do, or were they
>  rubber/viton sealed also?  If the former, this may be why.  I'd think that
>  the harder materials would be better at not wearing out with the water
>  acting as lube.
I don't know about anyone else's equipment, but mine is all cast iron
cylinders, pistons and rings. Graphite is present in cast iron, and the
porous nature of C.I. allows it to absorb oil and retain it. I believe Bill
Van Brocklin uses teflon "O" rings with great success. H.J. Coventry's design
for his 2-1/2" gauge pacific uses piston valves with no rings whatsoever! I
have a Coventry pacific in 2-1/2" gauge and am familiar with several in this
scale, 1/2" to the foot, that do not use any rings. I plan to follow suit and
not use them either. If something works, I see no need to fix it!
Keith