In a message dated 12/4/00 3:02:03 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  I once figured that a dual gauge
>  2-1/2" standard (22.6) and 45mm for NG (as it exists now on 45mm track)
>  would work where scales would be more or less the same for locos, buildings
>  figures etc.

Geoff, I can tell you from practical experience that it works fine.  The
"Gauge 3" standard is 1:22.5 scale on 2.5" track, and has a devoted following
in England.  The G-3 Society publishes a glossy newsletter with pictures of
their big coal-fired locos. (I think I scanned one once, so email me if you
want a copy.)

I have a standard gauge feeder on my NG (narrow gauge) pike, with dual gauge
track through to an exchange siding, where there will be a transfer shed when
I get round to the buildings.  Dual gauge is only 50% more work than a single
gauge, as one rail is shared.  [I actually added a third gauge - 2' - using
1.25" (gauge O) just for fun.  There's a picture in the turnout article
published in Garden Railways.  GR 2/99 p.78.]

I have a gauge-3 boxcar with trucks for std or NG, so I can run it on the
interchange or in the NG empire (carefully.)  I also have started converting
a Big Hauler to std gauge - Baldwin made NG locos by adjusting the chassis of
a small std gauge loco, so it is easy to model.  I just haven't got it done
yet, as I'm too busy laying track in the garden.

    Pete