Thanks for your input Gary.  It's always nice to hear from a
manufacturer as to the attendant problems.  I agree with the notion that
there aren't very many Gauge 3 modelers.  I didn't even know that some
folks wanted to do 1:20 Std. gauge.

The bell just went ding in my head as I analyzed your comparisons.  To
restate them let me use this analogy.  HO uses 1:87 as a scale and both
std. gauge & narrow gauge models are built to 1:87 scale.  The track is
also built to 1:87 scale for std. gauge and narrow gauge.  A huge
market.

Likewise if you wanted 45 mm track for narrow gauge then 72 mm would be
correct for 1:20 std. gauge.  (I rounded off the figures)  So who has
1:20 engines and rolling stock even already?  :>)  Not me.

And Ted Sharpe's solution of making gauge 1/O track solves the problem
if you are willing to build 1:32 narrow gauge trains that run on O gauge
track leaving the gauge one (outside rails) to run 1:32 std. gauge
trains.

Many more folks build 1:32 narrow gauge trains that run on gauge O track
than those who build 1:20 std. gauge trains that run on track yet to be
manufactured.

And all I wanted was a good looking 1:32 caboose.  :>)

Clark