Vance,

Peter Jones' "Kissing Frogs" Mamod articles are a good introduction to what
is possible and what is recommended in the way of engineering for small,
simple locos.  His instructions on how to use a punch to make a hole smaller
later saved me from using a lot of bad language when an ambitious loco
project over-reached my machining skills.

One of Jones' Mamod episodes was in the first issue of SitG that I received
when I subscribed.  Not being very smart, I didn't think to look for a SitG
index online or anywhere else. Instead I started ordering SitG back issues
in batches of five or six until I had all of Jones' articles in hand. Of
course I also had a lot of SitG issues with a wealth of loco reviews, design
info, machine tool basics, and so forth.

The SitG back issues also introduced me, through steamup reports and written
articles, to many individuals in the hobby that I have since had the
pleasure to meet in person.

Steve