Tony:

During my running season, May thru November, I have never drained the water
out of any locomotive boiler.  Engines that are stored at my office on
shelves stay full year-round.  Engines that are stored in my unheated shop
are drained for the winter.  I haven't noticed any complications due to
either storage condition and that includes Aster, Argyle and Roundhouse
engines that have check valves.  As has been mentioned in previous
discussions, stainless comes in various grades.  316 or 316L stainless is
specified for marine submersion service so if someone finds their
check-balls are corroding that would be a material to consider changing to.
Most unlabeled stainless sold at hardware stores, etc. is a 304 grade.  I
have seen 304 exhibit brown rust type of oxidation in fresh and salt water
use so if you find yourself needing to change balls I'd give consideration
to 316.  My Aster Grasshopper came with a kind of soft check-ball (rubber?)
which was never reliable.  Some kind soul gave me a stainless ball and all
is well.

Jim