Geoffrey  and  Guys,
       All  the  most  recent  talk  about  stainless  steel  and  rusting
"spheres",  raises a  very  basic  question  as  follows:-
       Is  it  better  to  drain  all  water  from  the  boiler  after
steaming  at  end  of  day  prior  to  storing  engine,  or  leave  some
water in  the  boiler?.  What  are  the  advantages and  dis-advantages?.
        One  reason  I  am asking,  is  that  when  I  drain  the
boiler  on  my  Aster  U1
and  leave  dry  for  a  few  weeks,  the  next  time  I  raise  steam,
the  ball  in  the  check  valve  appear  to  be  sticking  will  not
lift  against  the  boiler  back  pressure  until  engine  has  been  run
for  about  10  min  or  so.  Whereas  when  I  store  the
engine  with  boiler  over  3/4  full,  at  the  next  run several
weeks  later,  the  check  valve  works  immediately  and  allows  water
to  feed  to  boiler  and  keeps  level  at  over  70% full while running.
        I  have  dismantled  the  check  valve  2  or  three  times  and
found  ball  ok with  no  rust.
        Any  ideas,  what  do  you  think?.  Keep boiler  full  or empty?.
         Tony  D.