Hi Vance,
         Reference tube bending  without kinks.
  1.  For  cold bending  small  bore copper  brass or
stainless  tube,  I  pass the tube through
       a length of  tightly wound coil spring. Then bend tube over a
mandrel or by hand.
       The coils prevent the  tube diameter distorting.  To remove bent
tube, simply "unscrew"
        the coil spring from the tube.
        My local hardware store carries coil springs down too  .090" i/d.
   2   For larger tubes I have used coil springs  through the tube
bore,  with same results.
        180 degree bends are easily achieved with this method.

        Need to ensure at least one end  of coil spring is  protruding  in
order to grip and
        unscrew. 9Or spring becomes a permanant fixture!.
        Alternatively you could leave spring in place, dependant on final
usage.

   3   I use same method for ensuring water feed pipes from tender to
boiler do not get
        kinked in use, and looks prototypical if springs are visible on
outside.

   4   Dependant on individual design needs, cold bending is still  risky,
and copper or
        stainless tubes can easily crack.  Therefore even a low heating
temperature localised
        in prime bending area  helps the bending process considerably.

         Tony D.