Steve, Terry, et al,

   Doesn't 2" pipe that is typically found for plumbing have a seam? If so,
isn't this considered a "no-no" for boilers?
   Anything slightly unusual, I usually have to order from one of the "cut
length" suppliers found on the internet or from ads in the hobby magazines such
as Modeltec, Live Steam, SitG, Home Shop Machinist, etc.. The resources in our
locale is rather limited.
   Terry, if you're determined to roll a boiler from sheet, make a castle joint
at the seam. Something like a dovetailed joint, only with straight sides instead
of the dovetailed ones. Interlocking fingers if you will. I'm sure there's a
better name and description.
   Harry and others can (and probably will) correct me if I'm wrong, but this
type joint is supposed to be much stronger. It's a lot harder to make, but worth
the effort. (No, I've personally never made this joint, but I do read a LOT.
<grin>)

Later,
Trent