Hi,
My first Ga.1 steamer was a K4 I bought locally back in '89, 0r was it 90?,
maybe '91.............
Sounds like the typical K-4 arrangement. There are two K-4's here now and I
have had two others. I consider myself a novice compared to the Quirks and
their experience with K-4's. Very definitely use the tank valve for
regulation and leave the burner valve set at a comfortable level. Warm water
around the tank is a great help. Personally, I use an old Crock Pot -  you
can pick them up for two or three bucks at garage sales. I have a timer on
one so it comes on early enough so I have warm water when the sunrise
steaming begins. The pump spray bottle for the Goodall valve means I fire up
much quicker. Water from the crock pot (not distilled)
is used to warm the spray bottle water. If you are fully conscious, putting
the gas can in the water for one or two seconds gives the tank a quicker
charge in cold weather. Even though I wear two hearing aids, I can still hear
the change in the pitch of the burner, and add WARM water accordingly to the
tender. I made a 1" diameter knob with a stem having a hole and slot to fit
over the gas control valve. I have a mark on the top so I can register the
amount I'm turning the valve. It's still the same old rotten valve, but I get
greater control of it. NO, Messieurs Quirk, I DO NOT leave the big knob on
the valve when the engine is running, and I do NOT leave the pump handle in
the tender sticking up like a #$&c# in the air.
    How many of you remember the plants that vined down over the wall at DH?
Remember at DH2 how my K-4 gas hose sprung a leak and created a flame thrower
that burned them off in an even line for many feet? That taught me that when
you buy a used locomotive you ALWAYS replace the hoses, especially if it has
not been used for a time.
    Ah yes, I remember it well........................
Keep your steam up!
Mr. Lunkenheimer's associate