It is hard to make this shay meander isn't it? I can keep it going semi
slow, but it uses more steam and can stall. Until I know it is far less
prone to leaving the rails, I will keep the valve working against steam
pressure so it slows down and pops along rather than doing the 90 mph
routine.
I got some Loctite Metal glue. This evening I will mix some up and fasten
the slipping gear.
After cleaning the gear I noticed that the bevel gear hole is splined, while
the axle is smooth. I expect the gear was made by another company. Too bad
the axles are not splined on the gear end.

Does your shay tend to spray more steam oil and water than most steam
engines? The amount of mess seems similar to a stationary Wilesco steam
single piston unit I bought at a garage sale for $15.00.

~Gary - Eugene, Oregon