Jim,
In this case, I am the undocumented (until now) blind man.
While the gears are both small, the wheel axle gear is larger than the drive
line gear.
There is a little room for a slightly larger gear on the axle, but if the
drive line gear is smaller both gears would still have to be the same
height. Unless I make new side frames or at lease new brackets for the drive
line to allow new gears to mesh properly. New brackets woud be pretty easy.
New heavier side frames would be nice, but take a lot more work with hand
tools. Hmmm, I do have a rotozip that might cut a heavier brass sheet. First
I better look at the available gears at the hobby store during my errand
time today (picking up ski pass and rented skis for Thursday!).