Gary,

You are correct about the "smoke unit after-burner" which was indeed part of
Cooper's "smoke system" and not a real super heater. I installed a correct
super heater with stainless steel tube in-and-out of the flue and back to
the Osmotor.

The spring pressure is very important but a surprisingly little pressure
needed when  2 springs are holding the cylinder to the port face.  I was
going to modify the backing plates and replace the 2 springs with 1 mounted
in the center of the rotation which would have helped, but what was that
saying about a sow's ear?

GaryB