In a message dated 2/27/02 6:17:27 AM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

<< managing a boiler without operator intervention >>
I am not intending to offend anybody here, but I don't understand this
concept.  I think that one of the reasons that I am involved in live steam is
because of the operator intervention.  I find the realism, vigilance to the
necessaries, and the hands on approach extremly satisfying.  In the even
larger scales I enjoy the maintaning the fire, covered with coal dust, oil,
and dirt.  After a day of playing like that I feel great!
My opinion is: if we are playing with the real thing, why can't we watch the
water glass or maintain the fire, and add to the realism that we are trying
to achieve.  Otherwise, we might as well run electrics.
Bob Starr