Personally, I love automated systems as much as I love steam engines.  I
would love to build something akin to this and "tweek it 'till it
werks".  Buying it wouldn't have the same satisfaction but I can see where
people would want to.  There are those who love the real thing but would
rather pull Engineer duty without having to be the fireman too.

I don't think I'll be building one soon, but it is an interesting idea.  {:)

Trot, the honest, fox...

At 08:58 AM 2/27/02, you wrote:
>In a message dated 2/27/02 6:17:27 AM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>writes:
>
><< managing a boiler without operator intervention >>
>I am not intending to offend anybody here, but I don't understand this
>concept.  I think that one of the reasons that I am involved in live steam is
>because of the operator intervention.  I find the realism, vigilance to the
>necessaries, and the hands on approach extremly satisfying.  In the even
>larger scales I enjoy the maintaning the fire, covered with coal dust, oil,
>and dirt.  After a day of playing like that I feel great!
>My opinion is: if we are playing with the real thing, why can't we watch the
>water glass or maintain the fire, and add to the realism that we are trying
>to achieve.  Otherwise, we might as well run electrics.
>Bob Starr

   /\_/\       TrotFox         \ Always remember,
  ( o o ) AKA Landon Solomon    \ "There is a