Pete, sorry I got Jim's post fifteen minutes before yours came in for some
reason.

If the sensor in the feed tank works without a water glass, why can't this
same type sensor work in the boiler by setting it at the tri-cock levels? A
different led for each level with each LED being a two color LED. When water
was present the LED would be Green when absent Yellow or Red would show. I
suppose the top sensor would need to be reversed so that Green indicates no
water for steam expansion and Yellow or Red for water because the boiler was
too full. If the water feed sensor can stand the environment in the boiler
this would make sense. Anyone know what sort of sensor is in the reserve
water tank?
~Gary - Eugene, Oregon

> Thanks for the lead, Pete.  This system looks promising.  So why didn't WE
think of this ?  First reason is that we were unable to find a water level
> sensor that was accurate/reliable enough.  This system uses the standard
water glass, which I seem to remember discussions as to it's not being 100%
> reliable in visual mode.  If water glass units aren't reliable in visual
mode, they won't work reliably with this sensor either.  Comments ?

> royce in SB
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> > Cheddar Models have a fascinating electronic system for
> > managing a boiler without operator intervention.  It's
> > designed for boats that may be out of range, but I see
> > no reason why it couldn't be applied to a locomotive.
> >
> > There's a sensor on the water gauge that turns on the
> > water feed to the boiler, and a pressure sensor that
> > cuts the gas when the boiler runs too low.  It also detects low water in
the feed tank.  Multiple LEDs tell you the status while it is operating.