On 17/11/02 15:30, "steve speck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Try to get someone to custom machine, fit and finish a Big Boy to Aster
> standards, and then assemble it for you.  Even if you found someone that
> could do this for you, I believe that  the time and expense that this would
> involve for a master metal worker and model builder to do such a job would
> make the $16,000.00  seem reasonable.  Think what would be involved to set
> up tooling, then to make each part, fit each part, finish, then make it all
> work.                    Steve S.

Hmmmm! One might say the same about a video recorder and come to a similar
conclusion!  The fact is that this is a manufactured item that has an
inflated secondhand price based on perceived investment value. Many of these
models offered for sale seem to have been steamed but once.
Each to his own, but I see no pleasure in stuffed steam and very much hope
that no one sees fit to "collect" in my particular scale.  This sort of
thing can only serve to help put the real hobby out of reach for many
people.

--

Yours Aye

Tag Gorton