I'm assuming that you are talking about adjusting the fuel level by
adjusting the height of the pickup tube inside the tank. If that tube is
too high it won't pick up the fuel, if it's too low the alcohol will over
flow the top of the wick holding tubes under the engine. This latter
condition will be evidenced by starting fires on the ties under the engine,
particularly when the engine is at rest.

Phil

> I just got my new Alisan shay.
> Fuel was running out of the overflow hole. I made sure the fuel cap was
on
> correctly and it still leaked.  I added about 1/4" of rubber tubing to
the
> tube that regulates fuel level, which stopped the leak.
>
> The wicks would not hold a flame. The wicks arrived 15mm long so I
trimmed
> them to 5mm. The specs call for 5mm in one place and 3mm in another
section
> of the instructions. Flame was better and I raised .5-1 Bar pressure
three
> times and opened the blower a bit, removed the fan and the flame went out
> within a minute. No fuel was the problem. This is on level ground.  Wicks
> are packed fairly densly (I can rotate the wick bundle, but it does not
pull
> out easily and the wick head cannot be mashed down).
>
> Wondering whether my 1/4" extra tubing on the overflow vent pipe for fuel
is
> somehow restricting fuel when pressure is raised?  The fuel clear line
shows
> no fuel when the fire goes out. The tank has fuel. I tip the loco and
fuel
> runs into the line and the air bubble burps out so fuel flows enough to
> raise pressure again.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. I have only fixed and fired a friend's
Reno