Hi Phil,
Your Diagnosis seems right on.

Do you have any advice about how to pack wicks and how to trim wicks?

I noticed Aster catalogue shows both domed and flat top wicks.
The wicks came packed about 80 strands to a tube and the fire would go out.
I removed all but 36 wicks and the flame remains lit just fine.
I am not sure I am getting the hottest flame possible. I am having trouble
keeping
steam pressure optimal. I have noticed films of Aster's steaming where the
pop off valves are popping while running at top speed. If I get 3 bar
pressure and
run the loco pressure drops to 1 bar after a run of 180 feet without the
blower running.
I have eliminated leaks at the injector inlet and the pressure guage. Flame
is yellow for
two of the three wicks. The rear wick burns blue.
Fuel is denatured Ethanol 200%. I just bought 5 gallons at $7 per gallon
from the local
solvent company. Five gallons is the minimum purchase. I transfer to a quart
bottle with a
common kerosene type plastic pump. I keep the storage bottle tightly capped.

Just fishing for hints on how to optimize alcohol loco operation.

Gary - Running trains over Terror Trestle in Eugene, Oregon
http://www.angelfire.com/or/trainguy
http://community.webshots.com/user/raltzenthor

I'm assuming that you are talking about adjusting the fuel level by
adjusting the height of the pickup tube inside the tank. If that tube is
too high it won't pick up the fuel, if it's too low the alcohol will over
flow the top of the wick holding tubes under the engine. This latter
condition will be evidenced by starting fires on the ties under the engine,
particularly when the engine is at rest.

Phil