Hi Gary.

Been there done that with LOTS of meths fired locos.

The air vent from the sump to the fuel tank is the key to these "Chicken Feeder" systems. Most early Aster had a short vent pipe sticking down to the sump. You are meant to fit a section of plastic pipe to this to extend it downwards the right amount. It sounds from your description that you are getting airlocks with fuel in the air vent system, so the thing is failing to feed after a little while.

The cure is probably to do ALL of the following :-
1. Extend the vent pipe downwards using large diameter (bore) pipe. Needs to be 3/16 - 1/4 inch diameter to avoid surface tension funnies affecting the venting..
2. Cut the lower end of the plastic pipe off at 30 -45 degrees. This helps it to gulp air when it needs to without trying to suck up fuel from the sump as well - that's what causes the airlocking.

3 When you've got it feeding, then you may want to fiddle with wick packing to get the right heating level. I've never owned an Aster Alisan Shay - (someone beat me to the one I was trying to buy!), but I believe the burner may move with respect to the boiler on this loco so you MAY need longer wicks than most.

Good luck with it!

Jim Gregg.