Harry Wade wrote:

At 03:13 PM 3/8/03 -0500, you wrote:

imports . . . . , not to be mean-spirited, but you do get what you pay for.

I agree that if the tool won't do the job you've wasted your money and
more, but these days I wouldn't automatically assume "imported" = poor
quality.

Regards,
Harry

I agree with you Harry. I think that the lesson I learned here is that if you're going to use non-name brand tooling, you MUST test it for it's intended use BEFORE using it on your work. Had I done this, it would have avoided me spending hours last night hacksawing blanks for new cylinders out of my 25 lb ingot of bronze.

I would, however, like a comment on the issue of the bore being .442 vs Oring .438. I did an experiment by packing the O ring groove with a strip of brass to bring the OD up to .444 or so. Interestingly, the exhaust beat increased from 1 per revolution to 3 per revolution (it's hard to tell) while the friction increased (higher PSI req'd to start, run). This seemed to indicate that without the packing, alot of blowby was occuring in at least one of the cylinders. But if this were the case, why was I able to get it to run at all below say 7 PSI ?

I concluded that I was going to have to make new cylinders with an ID of .438 to get a 4 beat per revolution exhaust beat (important to me, for some reason).

What say ye ?

royce in SB