Harry Wade wrote:

    I say 4 beats per rev would be important to me also but I can't
imagine what connection there could be between cylinder bore size and
number of exhaust beats, although there may be.  I'll have to think about
this one for a while.

Regards,
Harry

My theory : when steam (air) is leaking past Orings somewhat continuously (even tho there seems to be enough power to keep the mechanism moving), there is no distinction between valve events and air flow. When there is no leakage (either piston Orings or slide valves) the distinction between steam events becomes noticeable. The oversize cylinder bore allows Oring leakage.

royce in SB