chuck:

while i commend your willingness to "go the extra mile" to garner hobbyists' viewpoints, what you are in fact building is a poll, not a survey.

what you'll be able to say when you're done is that "73 percent of those who chose to respond to the poll said gauge one locomotives should have wheels spanning 45mm." you will not be able to say "73 percent of hobbyists said gauge one locomotives should ahve wheels spanning 45mm."

my point has always been that none of the opinion-gathering techniques detailed so far are scientific. self-selection -- i.e., going to a web site and answering questions or returning a postcard -- skews the results.

i have actually written up a method of creating a (mostly) statistically valid survey of our hobby, but decided that it is way, way off topic (if anybody is interested, i'll send you the explanation off-list), so i'm not posting it.

but maybe i'm wrong; maybe a poll of self-selected hobbyists has some value and maybe i just don't see it.

\dmc