Dear Royce in South Brazil,

I know a little about metals and the coefficients of friction.  I, through
extensive tests making worm gearing, found that any steel, the harder the
better, suffered relatively little galling when used with SAE 92 bronze.
This bronze is common for use as bushings and easily available. It has lead
in it.  When I used SAE 68  aluminum bronze, a much harder material that
contains about 9% aluminum, my gears would wear and the steel worms would
develop radial scratches.  You would think that the harder bronze would have
much better wearing characteristics but that isn't the way it goes.  Also,
aluminum bronze is difficult to machine.

My experience with Teflon and nylon gears, or machined pieces, is that
dimensionally the material is not stable after machining.  That stuff can
move 1% to 2% over night.  Mysteries of life.

A one inch SAE 92 bronze bar 6" long is very cheap and easy to find.  It
machines easy.

Arthur---Mexico City