Royce wrote:-

>  On initial installation,
> I think I hit the valve face and port face with 600 grit wet or dry &
> oil before the first run.   ........

I've not been following this thread, but I wonder if my own experience (and
proven method) might help here?

After getting the two surfaces flat - separately, not by lapping them together -
rub each whilst still wet on a piece of good quality writing paper.  The
blackness which appears on the paper is the carborundum which was previously
imbedded in the brass.  Having done this, you will be able to slide the two
surfaces together without causing further scratches.

I forget who told me of this simple technique, but I owe to them to pass it on
to all who need to know.

Finally, why are you using oil with the wet and dry?  Use water - it's cheaper
and not as messy.

Mike

p.s. when lapping, make all the strokes firmly in one direction, then one stroke
at rightangles.  If all you can see are the scratches from the last stroke, it's
flat.