> what glue is best these days?  Is it cyano?

Not for anything you want to last a while. I have found that CA glues
will bond wood very well, but not over the long run.  From what I hear,
CA was designed to deteriorate in the presence of moisture (it was
developed as a surgical substitute for sutures), so over time it
weakens in contact with humidity, steam condensation, etc.

I use aliphatic (yellow) carpenters glue rated for outdoor use.  Check
the home improvement store for Titebond, Elmer's Outdoor or similar.
The Elmer's stuff I use is tacky in less that 5 and sets up in 10-15
minutes, so it's almost as easy to use as CA in terms of speed.  And it
doesn't fall apart unexpectedly at a steamup.

regards,
  -vance-

Vance Bass
Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA