Hi Susan, Casey, Pete, Steve and list.

First re the brass corrosion or more properly de-zincification, and the Midwest boiler.

De-zincification is a process which happens from the inside out, so external inspection tells you nothing, - the first indication is when it fails! The mode of failure can be interestingly varied also. I think Susans scenario of "Ka-boom", may be a bit dramatic, but is always a possibility, I feel that a leak, and let down of pressure is more likely, however that, spraying steam and boiling water all over, can be pretty nasty too.

By the way the de-zincification process does not need iron or any other "foreign" metal to be present.

My own experience with de-zincification was in an old copper 7.25 inch gauge loco boiler, with a brass steam turret approximately 1 inch cube, with an integral 1/2 inch threaded stem into the boiler bush, and internal threaded take offs in three of the sides. I tested the complete boiler hydraulically to 200 psi with no problems apparrent. There were no external signs whatsoever of any possible problems wih the steam turret or any other parts.

I then attempted to unscrew the steam turret, and the whole block simply crumbled into coarse spongy lumps. I wonder how much longer the thing would have operated under steam before the turret let go under steam pressure of 100 psi or so.

The commercial makers of toy brass boilers - Mamod, Willesco, etc., use a particular brass alloy which is not really prone to the de-zincification process, so they are more safe than someone using any old brass would be. I hope that the Midwest people use such an alloy too.

That Midwest boiler worries me in that the ones I've seen have no safety valve - they rely on the plastic steam pipe popping off the stub it fits onto, if the pressure gets too high. That sounds possible, but sure as eggs someone will wire or clamp it on, or replace the plastic with brass or copper soldered on. I know of at least one accident in the USA where a spectator child was burnt when the steam pipe popped of the engine end in a model steam boat. The boiler was over filled, and the free end of the pipe was whipping around spraying boiling water and steam all over.

The issue of the thickness of the flue pipe wall I think is probably a red herring - the conductivity across a thick wall will be reduced (VERY slightly!), but as heat transfer is much more limited at the metal/water and flue gas/metal interface, the effect of metal conductivity will be negligible.

The real problem iwth the Midwest and very many other small vertical boilers is one of totally inadequate heating surface, combined with ineffective draft and gas flow arrangements. A Sterno fuel system wouldn't help either. The proposed three wick alcohol (Methylated Spirit UK) burner, would help considerably. I'd be inclined to put several more flues in the thing and use any other way of improving both heating surface and draft. If this works and you are considering this stage of modifications, then I start to wonder why persist with the original boiler? It might be easier to build a right one from scratch in the first place rather than bodge up the original.

Jim Gregg.