James,

Yeah ok.  But it's not really "resolving" the group name.  That is, it's
not looking up in AD for a group with that gidNumber and returning the name
of that group.

sssd internally is inventing the fiction of a group with the same group
name as the user name and the same gidNumber as the user's uidNumber.  So
with auto_private_groups = true, id would return the same whether you set
gidNumber on the user account or not.  (sssd is ignoring that field for
primary group when auto_private_group == true).

Spike