Hello

On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 07:19:53PM +0200, Remko Tronçon wrote:
> > I'm late posting, but case-sensitivity is just one of many ways that room
> > nicks can be confusing. "StPeter" vs "St.Peter" vs "St. Peter" vs
> > "St Peter", or even "StPeter " -- and then there are all the visually
> > confusable Unicode glyphs. ("StΡeter".) It's not obvious to me that
> > case-folding is the worst of these.
>
>  That's true. That's why Textshell's proposal of leaving it up to the
>  server to decide what's duplicate and what not is the best way to go.
>  A simple implementation does no checking at all, whereas a very
>  complex implementation could use an algorithm to calculate similarness
>  of nicknames (taking into account the whole Unicode set and
>  spaces/dots/characters in between characters, ...), and reject the
>  ones that are too similar.

I would not push it to that extreme - what if your client
freezes/crashes/whatever and your nick stays hanging there? Then it is
usual to come back as nick_ or something like that.

Anyway, I think people are able to recognize the case, you use lower and
upper case in normal writing too…

--
Fragile. Do not turn umop ap1sdn!

Michal 'vorner' Vaner