Robin Redeker wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 02:32:39PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> Matthias Wimmer wrote:
>>> +100
>> Well, it's interesting, on the ejabberd list today someone said they
>> have an existing database of 45k email users and they want to offer
>> Jabber services to that user population, but re-use the same usernames.
>> I'm sure they have some users in there with addresses containing
>> characters like single quote, e.g., tim.o'[EMAIL PROTECTED] In which
>> case I bet that they'll be interested in using JID Escaping.
>
> If they can live with the fact that clients like: psim gajim, kopete,
> pidgin, tkabber, ... http://www.jabber.org/software/clients.shtml
>
> That clients like those display the guy as [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> And if they can teach their userbase that their JID contains \27 instead
> of '.

Or do what this person is going to do -- prevent people who have ' in
their email address from using Jabber! (Sorry, no address mapping for you!)

>> I really feel that this discussion is not going anywhere. The spec is
>> IMHO pretty clear. If you don't like the spec, don't implement it.
>
> I _certainly_ won't. But you are aware that you recommend every client
> author to implement XEP-0106? (Hint:
> http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0211.html )

Shockingly, I do tend to be aware of what is in the specifications I write.

> XEP-0106 is certainly useful, and noone says it should go away, I would
> just know WHO is supposed to implement it and in WHICH cases.

In a client, the first thing to support is at least to transform the
mapped characters to their unmapped equivalents on receipt. So show \27
as ' and so on. The second thing to support is: if the user attempts to
add a buddy (or register an account etc.) whose JID has a node
identifier containing ' or one of the other prohibited characters,
transform the character to the mapped equivalent; alternatively, the
client could reject the attempt ("sorry, those characters are
disallowed") since that is what clients do now -- be conservative in
what you send, liberal in what you accept.

It is possible that a server could perform the mapping as well,
depending on the authentication mechanisms in use. E.g., let's say that
at a certain deployment, the user's authzid is derived from the email
address in the user's X.509 certificate or LDAP record. In this case, if
the user's email address is tim.o'[EMAIL PROTECTED] then the server
would specify the user's JID as [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Would it help to clarify this handling further in the spec?

/psa