On Fri, Jul 27, 2007 at 02:32:39PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Matthias Wimmer wrote:
> > Robin Redeker schrieb:
> >> I propose to rename the XEP to make clear that this escaping/unescaping
> >> should
> >> only happen in very rare cases (only at gateways or heavily specialized
> >> client
> >> frontends). And that the terms 'escaping' and 'unescaping' are replaced by
> >> 'mapping' and 'unmapping', because thats what is happening here.
> >
> > +100
>
> Well, it's interesting, on the ejabberd list today someone said they
> have an existing database of 45k email users and they want to offer
> Jabber services to that user population, but re-use the same usernames.
> I'm sure they have some users in there with addresses containing
> characters like single quote, e.g., tim.o'[EMAIL PROTECTED] In which
> case I bet that they'll be interested in using JID Escaping.

If they can live with the fact that clients like: psim gajim, kopete,
pidgin, tkabber, ... http://www.jabber.org/software/clients.shtml

That clients like those display the guy as [EMAIL PROTECTED]
And if they can teach their userbase that their JID contains \27 instead
of '.

> I really feel that this discussion is not going anywhere. The spec is
> IMHO pretty clear. If you don't like the spec, don't implement it.

I _certainly_ won't. But you are aware that you recommend every client
author to implement XEP-0106? (Hint:
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0211.html )

XEP-0106 is certainly useful, and noone says it should go away, I would
just know WHO is supposed to implement it and in WHICH cases.

Mriduls clarification in
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.jabber.standards-jig/16328
is pretty useful and I agree that the XEP-0106 partially lets shine
through that it's not for everyone and in every occasion, but I'm afraid
that with a 'RECOMMENDED' in XEP-0211 most client authors will try to
implement it.

But ok, lets stop here, I'm sure the client authors who want to
implement XEP-0211 and like to also provide the recommended fields will
read the mailing list.

I will file a bug report against the first ordinary IM client that does
unconditional unescaping of JIDs and displays the unescaped nodepart as
main handle for a conversation.

Ok, lets stop now really.

Robin