On 8/11/07, Andreas Monitzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > include <body/> into this message, Tkabber will show it in a separate
> > headlines window.
>
> Hmm would that be so bad? A headline window will surely draw more
> attention than a regular message.

How this separate window would associate with a chat thread?
Especially if chat and headline messages are stored in different
histories.

> > IQ is simple. Message is complicated.
>
> uh, why? There's much more code involved in an IQ stanza than in a
> message.

IQ has a fixed clear structure. Its parsing usually performed by one
routine, and to add support for some IQ namespace one can do something
like the following (example from Tkabber):

iq::register_handler set query
http://www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0224.html#ns
::plugins::attention::react

Message is a much more complicated object.

But it's not a big deal to process a message instead of IQ. What I
want from any protocol detail is a feedback. XMPP would be much nicer
if any stanza required an acknowledgement. For now, messages and
presences are thrown without an acknowledgement (except for an ugly
presence usage in XEP-0045 AFAIK). So, I'd like to use them as seldom
as possible. Only if using message is unavoidable it may be used. (If
I could, I'd use IQ even for a regular messaging.)

Though, if XMPP is for information which worth nothing then everyone
may use anything he wants.

Cheers!
--
Sergei Golovan