On Aug 29, 2007, at 7:00 AM, Fletcher, Boyd C. CIV US USJFCOM JFL J9935 wrote:

Speaking of compression, I think we should consider adding the w3's efficient xml interchange (exi) support to xep-138. The testing results I've seen for EXI indicate that in many circumstances it is quite a bit better than zlib or tls compression. In addition to better b/w utilization use of exi within the xmpp router could potentially lead to dramatically improved scalability as binary xml is far more efficient to process.

You should write a XEP, then, that defines the compression method name, a pointer to the relevant W3C doc, and the XMPP Registrar Considerations that asks the registrar to add it to the list of compression methods.

Off-topic: are there any open source implementations of EXI yet?

--
Joe Hildebrand