On Tue, 15 Jan 2008, Torsten Grote wrote:

Andrew Plotkin said the following on 01/14/2008 04:42 PM:
What we've found is that there's no need to drive people towards Jabber
accounts [...]
We realize that "Jabber on the back end" doesn't do much for XMPP
advocacy, but it's better than nothing, and our primary goal is to get
people playing games. Whatever that takes.

My primary goal isn't to get people playing games. I just don't care
whether they play or not. It's not important.

This is probably relevant to the different approaches we came up with. :)

If your goal is really just to get people playing games, why do you
build your own gaming service with XMPP as a backend? Why not work here
with us on a standard for XMPP gaming, so everybody could play with
everybody else and would be able to play with the client of his choice.
And why not give client developers the possibility to add game support
to their clients, too?

Our protocol is documented, and it would be perfectly feasible for any XMPP client to support it. (For specific games, or for general gaming if the client has a way to display our game plugins.) Our client and bot code is on the Apache license; we're not trying to create a proprietary system.

If you're asking why we didn't begin an XEP process (JEP process, at the time), the answer is that existing XEPs seemed sufficient. (And, indeed, turned out to be.[*]) There's nothing wrong with using XMPP as an application platform.

[* Although 0115 has turned out to be a headache, and not just because of the recent revamp.]

--Z

*
If the Bush administration hasn't thrown you in military prison without trial,
it's for one reason: they don't feel like it. Not because you're patriotic.