Jonathan Schleifer wrote:
> Am 13.12.2008 um 09:57 schrieb Dirk Meyer:
>
>> I always like the something-over-XMPP idea. This includes HTTP, VNC,
>> and
>> VPN seems crazy but why not. But for everything like this we need more
>> bandwidth. If can not use IBB for that. VPN over XMPP can use the
>> existing ICE-UDP, but this against shows that we need good TCP support
>> for XMPP.
>
> Well, I would even call that idea less crazy than HTTP-over-XMPP or
> VNC-over-XMPP

HTTP over XMPP may be just wrong to do, but VNC over HTTP is very
usefull. Think about all the PC users you know who ask your for help
from time to time. It is easier if you can just use VNC to show them
remotly. But they are always behind a NAT, so VNC does not work. There
are solutions to that problem, but providing VNC access by using XMPP
and tunnel the VNC data over a Jingle stream is a very ellegant
trick. There will be a button "Get help from Jonathan" and the XMPP
client will connect to you, negotiate a Jingle connection and you will
see the remote desktop. But that would require a) end-to-end security
and b) a TCP-like connection. On the other hand, I would all have less
time to do stuff I want if my sister could get help with a single button
:)

Dirk

--
Computer analyst to programmer: "You start coding. I'll go
find out what they want."