On Monday 15 December 2008 11:36:18 Jonathan Schleifer wrote:
> Am 15.12.2008 um 20:33 schrieb Dirk Meyer:
> > Jonathan Schleifer wrote:
> >> Maybe we should make it a requirement that one stanza can only
> >> include
> >> one message. That'd make things a lot easier.
> >
> > No, you need to have control over your TLS lib to do so. With the
> > current way you just feed your stanzas into your TLS lib and everytime
> > it outputs something, you send it away. As simple as possible.
>
> That means the TLS lib might delay a stanza, so that's bad anyway. So
> we need control over the TLS lib anyway. We wouldn't want to delay a
> message until another is sent.

TLS transports a stream of bytes.  Saying a particular TLS packet must contain
just one stanza is like saying a particular TCP packet must contain just one
stanza.

I don't think a TLS lib would ever cause real delay, but it might attempt to
put two sets of recently-written bytes into the same packet (just like a TCP
stack might do).  This is perfectly acceptable, and should remain so.

-Justin