Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Mon Mar 16 14:43:38 2009, Andreas Monitzer wrote:
>> On Mar 16, 2009, at 13:09, Dirk Meyer wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, maybe restrict the usage to a stanza and not allow it inside a
>>> stanza by default. So a client MAY send any return from any XEP
>>> out of
>>> band, but only the whole result. If out of band is allowed
>>> somewehere
>>> deep inside a stanza it SHOULD be added to the XEP defining that
>>> namespace.
>>
>> That's not a good idea, since then you couldn't use it for binary
>> data  at all (since you never have base64-encoded data at the top
>> level).  Having it only in specific stanzas would mean that you
>> couldn't  implement a solution for everything, but only on a
>> case-by-case basis  (or you'd have to carry around a list of
>> situations where it's allowed  – ugh).
>
> Bob... XEP-0231
>
> Bob already defines a mechanism for referencing blobs. This provides
> an alternative transport for them.

Yes, reading bob gave me the idea :)
I want to add a section to describe how this can interact with bob.

> What this won't allow is for huge XML blobs to be referenced within
> stanzas, but I can't think of a single use case for that - perhaps I'm
> being naïve, but I think Bob and this between them are an interesting
> concept.

I thought about using bob's cid for the content, but the use case is
different. For bob I request the stuff later, in my idea it comes by
itself. No need for a constant id like bob.

Dirk

--
An aquarium is just interactive television for cats.