On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 01:49:31PM -0500, XMPP Extensions Editor wrote:
> Version 0.6 of XEP-0198 (Stream Management) has been released.

My main problem is to understand the purpose of being able to
answered with an <a> OR <r> it seems a bit redundant to me to make
two different elements.

So in the end wouldn't a <s> (standing for 'synchronize') element
be enough:

  C: <message/>
  C: <s u='1'/>

  S: <message/>
  S: <s h='1' u='1'/>
  S: <message/>
  S: <s u='2'/>
  S: <message />
  S: <s u='3'/>

  C: <s h='1'/>   - here a client _might_ want to wait a certain
                    amount of time, then, if the second message from
                    the server has been received it could omit the
                    synchronization element for the h='1' and could
                    just send this one:
  C: <s h='2'/>

  C: <message/>
  C: <s u='2' h='3'/>

That kind of combining the u and h attribute would require additional
logic. So a primitive implementation might send a <s> each time
it received an <s> with an u attribute:

  C: <message/>
  C: <s u='1'/>

  S: <message/>
  S: <s u='1'/>

  S: <s h='1'/>

  S: <message/>
  S: <s u='2'/>

  S: <message />
  S: <s u='3'/>

  C: <s h='1'/>
  C: <s h='2'/>

  C: <message/>
  C: <s u='2'/>

  C: <s h='3'/>

In the end it's just synchronization of two counters over
a wire (along with keeping track what the other entity received
if it received my counter value).

Other than this I've found the XEP to answer all my immediate questions
that arised when I read the previous version. I guess it's time to
implement it :)

Greetings,
   Robin

--
Robin Redeker                         | Deliantra, the free code+content MORPG
el...@ta-sa.org / r.rede...@gmail.com | http://www.deliantra.net