On Thursday 19 March 2009 17:02:38 Fabio Forno wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:49 AM, Justin Karneges
>
> <justin-keyword-jabber.093...@affinix.com> wrote:
> > I don't see much value in allowing the sequence number to be out of sync
> > with the stanza count, so how about we just make them match?  The value
> > of 'u' could always be the number of stanzas transmitted so far, and we
> > wouldn't send 'u' over the wire anymore.
>
> I don't know why (it's 1 am here now and part of the brain is already
> sleeping ;) ) but there is a voice inside me crying because the
> sequence number is better explicit, and at the same time if it is
> inserted after the stanza some loss of synchronization can happen.
> It's likely that tomorrow morning after some sleep I can also produce
> and example of how it can happen ;)
>
> In the meanwhile a second voice is rising: what about putting the u
> and h attributes inside the message stanzas (an <r/> child in the
> proper namespace can do the work)?

'h' would stay outside of the stanza, since you need to be able to send it
without having to send a stanza.  And 'u' could always be in the stanza,
since you'd never use it without having sent a stanza at the same time.

C: <message u='1'/>

S: <a h='1'/>

Of course, I still question the need for 'u' at all if we're doing it like
this.

-Justin