On 4/9/09 7:57 AM, Sachin Khandelwal wrote:
> Hi,

Hi. Could you please refrain from top-posting, please? :)

> Let me elaborate this :
> Consider user 'xmpp1'  uses two clients to login  (say one from home and one
> from office). Currently 'xmpp1' has only one rosteritem 'xmpp2' and the
> roster
> version is 316. Both the office client and home client are upgraded to
> version
> 316. Now from office client user deletes the contact ( home client is not
> logged
> in that time). Now when xmpp1 login from home client the response of roster
> retrieval will be same as Example 4.
>
> Here my concern was how the client will come to know that the response is
> actually a zero rosteritem (empty roster) condition and not that "the roster
> changes will be sent later as interim roster pushes" as mentioned in sec 2.4.
>
> Also consider that the server is implemented to send the complete roster and
> not the interim roster pushes.

That's an interesting edge case. I'm not yet sure how to solve it.
You're right that with roster versioning an empty <query/> element now
can mean two different things. This requires further thought.

Thinking out loud: perhaps if the roster is empty the server must not
include the sequence number? Or some other notation that the roster is
empty?

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre