2009/4/25 Paul Aurich <p...@darkrain42.org>:

> I think it's critical to distinguish user-generated traffic from
> client-generated outgoing stanzas.  I agree with Will that, for the former,
> this is a really frustrating UI and I'd hate my client for doing it.

I think that's exactly the problem in question. User can explicitly
generate traffic without him knowing. You generate traffic by opening
a window. You generate it by displaying your contact's information.
You can even generate it by hovering mouse over your contact in
roster. Ordinary users don't understand the technology and should be
warned. I still think it is implementation and configuration issue.
The "don't ask again" checkbox is really a no-brainer.