On 9/3/09 2:34 PM, Home wrote:
> [...]

Agreed.

Here is my take...

Most of the discussion about XEP-0175 has assumed that servers are
exposed on the public Internet (I know that's how I have looked at it,
from my perspective as an admin of the jabber.org IM service). However,
server admins might offer a more controlled or private service, such as
a for-pay gaming service, a help desk within a corporation, an IM
"helpline" at a school, etc. In these situations, the admins might want
to open up the options a bit more. This is where Jack Moffitt is coming
from with his concerns (Chesspark, Collecta), and perhaps Andy Skelton
(Wordpress) as well. I think it's important to capture both
perspectives, and I don't think we've quite done so yet in the spec.
Perhaps I'll have time to wordsmith it a bit further next week.

> Indeed, it might be better to insist that servers can be configured
> either way...

I think that's mostly implied by saying that the server MAY do X or Y,
but in a neutral way. There are plenty of server implementations that
might not want to expose hundreds of configuration options but instead
have some kind of "safe mode" or "public mode" that tunes down what an
anonymous user can do.

Peter

- --
Peter Saint-Andre