On Sep 11, 2009, at 10:29 AM, Jack Moffitt wrote:

My use is more of a lazy hack. I want to use the anonymous JID
resource to store information about BOSH clients. For example, we
could have a number of web pages on different domains connecting via
proxy to a single BOSH service and we would like to know at a glance
the domain name of the site they are connecting from

Wouldn't a better way to do this be the RFC 4505 trace data?  You
could put shuch data into the <auth/> element and use it on the
backend or whereever to identify users this way.  I assume that is the
purpose of trace data.

No! trace data should, at most, just be logged. It's intended to have no semantic value. By using it to identify a particular anonymous user (across sessions) you are adding a semantic.

-- Kurt

This however, may not be well supported in servers.

Most SASL implementations I know of won't expose the trace information to the calling application program, except possibly as data to be logged.

I only thought of
it as I saw it mentioned at the end of the recommendation section of
the XEP 175 changes.

jack.