On 1/24/10 7:12 AM, Ralph Meijer wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 21:15 -0700, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
>> A number of XEPs are due to be deferred in the next 4-5 weeks. Here is
>> my take...
>>
>> [..]
>>
>> 4. XEP-0247: Jingle XML Streams
>>    http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0247.html
>>
>> IMHO we don't need this one any longer, so it can lapse without issue.
>
> Just last week I suggested Dan Brickley to look into this XEP, because
> it enables low-latency peer-to-peer XMPP traffic without requiring
> Zeroconf support.
>
> While I very much admire Zeroconf and the Serverless Messaging
> specification (XEP-0174), using it in a heterogeneous environment can be
> a challenge. Support for mDNS and DNS-SD are often part of the OS, and
> have different APIs on every platform. For example, Linux-based systems
> have Avahi.

Right. But what's the problem? The fact that you can't write once, run
anywhere (different APIs)? Or the fact that some platforms don't have
support for mDNS and DNS-SD?

> Also, if you already have a path between entities through the regular
> XMPP network, it makes perfect sense to use Jingle to establish a direct
> XML Stream in the face of low-latency requirements. Dan's example would
> be a media center remote control.

Direct over what transport? TCP? I suppose that might work on a LAN or
home area network (HAN) or even a neighborhood area network (NAN), which
is the use case that Dan cares about. Hmm, Dan/LAN/HAN/NAN? ;-)

> I'm not particularly convinced about the usefulness of the required
> implementation of IBB in XEP-0247, though. If you already have a
> serverful path, but cannot establish a peer-to-peer stream, you can just
> do the exchanges through regular XMPP, without envelopes.

I think the reasoning was that we have IBB and anything else you design
will look an awful lot like IBB, so why not re-use that?

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre
https://stpeter.im/